The success of Pokémon Go has been massive so far. Pokémon’s are all over the place – in the streets, offices and on Social Media. But, is the hype around this augmented reality game really justified? If we look at carefully the game, it is nothing but chasing the Pikachu’s and encasing them into a basket. Is such a chasing game really worth the hype and promo it is given?
- Pokémon Go is a hit game. It has been installed a million times. After all, it is the mobile version of the world famous cartoon Pokémon (who can forget its cute hero, the Pikachu). And now that 21,000,000 people are playing this game every day in the US in more or less a simultaneous fashion, it has started trending and has morphed itself into a viral phenomenon.
- A similar viral spread was witnessed when Angry Birds were introduced. There too the storyline was wafer-thin – a pig stealing the eggs of the birds and thus the birds taking a revenge. But, the way in which the storyline was narrated made the app a huge success and this success ultimately paved the way for a film.
- The franchise upon which Pokémon Go is based has its record of producing all time smash hit games and thus the Pokémon Go’s success was well founded with media (online, print and TV medias) advertisements and it was basically introduced as a collectible card game. Also, the earlier relevance of Pokémon and Pikachu amidst the people made the game to connect well with the people.
- Already the game had a secure launch pad in the form of ‘Ingress’, which was an earlier blockbuster of Nintendo. Millions of players got addicted to the game and hence, when the launch of Pokémon Go by the same company, it kindled the curiosity of the players. And following the actual launch, a million of downloads happened.
- The game uses GPS systems which place the Pokémon characters and gems in any famous place or landscape. This makes the users to go to the place and find them. This frizz of excitement and the psychological thrill which comes while searching in a crowded place gives an edge to the players and this edge has transformed into a frenzy.If one looks at the bare reality, this game is like any other normal game. However, all the other games use imaginary landscapes and terrains whereas Pokémon go has broken that slab and has placed its foot into the real landscapes and roads and this new idea only makes the players go gaga with it.
If you ignore a few misfits like high battery and data consumption, this game truly justifies the hype it has created.