What is app store optimization?
The process of improving the appearance and performance of a mobile app like Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Phone app etc in the search list of an app store is called App Store Optimization or ASO.
Why is ASO required?
As per the statistics there are over 2 million mobile apps in the leading app stores presently and getting your app discovered in the app store is one of the biggest task for the mobile app publishers in this stiff competitive market. Therefore the basic aim of ASO is to get more traffic to your app’s page in the app store, which will trigger the downloads for that specific app.
ASO is a very challenging process. So here we will get into the details of some of the most important things that should be kept in mind during ASO-
- Keyword research-The first and most important step of ASO is to find the right keywords that would describe what the target audience is looking for. Your app will only appear in the search results because of the keywords and key phrases present in those fields, so this work is to be done very carefully.
- Choosing the right app name- Just coming up with a unique brand name isn’t the end of the work. The name should be catchy as well as informative and should be descriptive enough to communicate the actual purpose of the app to the consumers. For getting the best results with ASO, one has to also include relevant keywords within the title.
- App description- The first three lines of your description should be very catchy, compact as well as informative. These initial lines will immediately grab your reader’s attention. Keywords should be placed in the description strategically. Describe what it does in simple language along with; listing the unique benefits it offers that would compel the potential user to download it. You should also keep updating the description with every update of the app.
- App Logo- When potential users scroll the results with availability of so many similar options, your icon will be the first thing they will notice. You should not let l such an important part of your app page become plane, simple and predictable. Make it eye catchy, informative yet don’t make it complicated.
- Research about competitors- Keeping an eye over your competetors activity is the best way of knowing what you should do and what you shouldn’t. This will also help you to discover certain keywords you might have missed.
- Localization- App developers and marketers must speak the language used by all of their users. They should try to include local phrases and cultural references to match the users of each specific location.
- Screenshots and videos- Screenshots and videos may not have a direct effect on search rankings of the app, but they do help in triggering downloads. Screenshots and videos help to bring you’re the description to life, and enables the potential customers to visualize usage of your app before they make the download.
- Outside promotion for increased traffic- It’s obvious that the more traffic you get, the higher will be your listing in the app store. In order to get more traffic try to build an online presence of the app in social media and also investing in online advertising.
- Frequently update-Most of the customers now days look for apps that are constantly improving, and provide regular updates. Apps that are frequently updated are seen to be more customers centric and are considered of a higher value
- Ratings and feedback- A consistent flow of positive reviews is a must and the most important determinant for an app to prosper and survive in the market. Good ratings and feedbacks are directly proportional to improved rankings and are the most important determinants of good ranking in the app store.