The battle of smartphones have reached a new crescendo with almost every mobile manufacturer launching newer and more feature packed models virtually every month. The smartphones themselves could be broadly classified into two categories- the expensive power packed super smart phones and the low budget, pocket friendly necessity only smart phones. The lower budget smartphones may be weaker in performance and features as compared to the expensive variety, but nevertheless they hold a formidable market share in a large number of countries. The latest addition to budget smart phones is the new Motorola Moto G which offers a host of remarkable features at a presumably lower price.
The Moto G was first unveiled last year in Brazil and the same in now available in India. This set is expected to do excellent business in India due to its power packed features and comparatively lower price. The main features of this phone are as follows:
- Appearance – The phone is simple yet eye catchy in appearance in candybar style. Also, the edges are curved offering a firm handgrip. The handset features a 4.5 inch screen and there is no logo on the front side of the set. There is a front camera of 1.3 megapixels. The front also has a light coating which protects the handset from water splashes.
- Screen- Moto G comes with a 720X1280 pixel 4.5 inch IPS LCD which offers good picture resolution with good brightness even in sunlight and rich colors. The screen is covered with a good quality Gorilla glass to protect the same from scratches. Generally such good quality glass is found in smart phones of much higher price ranges. The screen is also excellent for video and gaming and provides good viewing experience. The text visibility is very clear and crisp in appearance without smudges or fuzziness.
- Camera- The set features two cameras- a 5 megapixel rear camera with LED flash and a 1.3 megapixel front camera. The camera produces good quality images in bright natural light whereas the image quality in low light and indoors is not very satisfactory. The front camera is mainly used for video chat and self-shots and is sufficient for the purpose. The lack of a dedicated physical button for the camera is a drawback in this handset.
- Software- the Moto G is generally available on the Android 4.3 version. However there is already an upgrade available to Android 4.4.2 KitKat which was launched in December 2013. With the latest software upgrade, this is one of the most powerful smartphones in the market at such a low price range. The set features five different home screens and there is a flyaway animation sequence in the set. There are a large number of shortcuts for a variety of applications. However, the quick alarm shortcut is missing in Moto G.
- Hardware- the set comes with 1.2 GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor along with Adreno 305 graphics and 1 GB of inbuilt RAM. The set is available either with 8 GB or 16 GB storage memory capability without any support for expandable external storage which is a major drawback. The processor works good and the set runs along fine. The set is powered a non-removable 2070 mAh battery and the single charge runtime is somewhere around 24 hours.
Thus, this set is a clear winner in terms of performance running the latest and powerful Android version with an unbeatable price and offering adorable style and comfort.