Microsoft surface is a tablet which is designed and manufactured by Microsoft. The CEO of Microsoft announced this product on June 18, 2012 in Los Angeles.
This tablet comes in following two versions.
- With windows RT which uses an arm CPU.
- With windows 8 pro which uses an Intel CPU.
In both the models, applications can be installed from the windows store but only windows 8 pro allow installation of third party desktop programs.
- It includes a VaporMG which houses the components of the surface.
- A USB port, HDMI slot, a magnetic strip for attaching accessories is available in both the versions. A 720p camera which is front-and-rear facing is available.
- In the front a home screen button is present which enables you to return to the home screen directly or to go back to the last used app if currently on the home screen.
- The aspect ratio of 10.6 inch screen of the Microsoft surface is 16:9. HD display technology is used in both versions.
- The screen supports auto-adjusting screen intensity and ultra wide viewing angle.
- The screen is so made that when held at a height of 17 inches then it is hard to differentiate between individual pixels.
- Two types of touch covers are there. The one is touch cover and other type cover. Both are connected to it with the help of magnetic strip. They could be used as a protecting device when folded and act as a keyboard when opened. Touch cover is approximately 3.25 mm thick and is pressure sensitive while the type touch is 6 mm thick and has physical keys on it.
The windows-8 version was released in the market on October 26, 2012 while the other one was launched after three months. Initially it was available only in Microsoft stores and online. The company then outsourced the pre-order process to other different partners. But this resulted in confusion in customers regarding their deliveries. Hence the company offered vouchers in response to the delays. On November 29 pricing was announced with the availability in January, 2013.
The Microsoft surface got a positive response from the Original Equipment Manufacturers. It got applause from its competitors like HP, Dell, and Lenovo with a saying that their relationships with the company will not change after their decision. The senior vice president of HP said that Microsoft is making a leadership statement and will show the all possibilities in the tablet space. It is basically for those people who need to carry an office with them. But it is not well adapted for touch screens. For those who do not need office there are other cheaper android tablets in the market for them.