The modern world relies thoroughly on the internet for business, social and economic needs. A good web site should have the capability to communicate effectively with the users and should be easily upgradable. Designing a web site is definitely not rocket science but still it requires a few sets of parameters and skills. There are a number of factors to be kept in mind while designing a website- the technology to be used, to be portable across all platforms. In addition, it is very important for the website to ultimately meet the goal for which the site is being designed. Over and above everything, there are other factors like budget, time limit, the working experience of the developer and the team.
There are a number of things to be kept in mind in the field of Web Design. They are as follows:
• Client-side web builder
• Server-side Program
There are a number of server side languages which form the backbone of web designing. This is a specialist job which requires great skill and expertise on part of the programmer. The most commonly used server side languages are as follows:
1. CGI-Perl:This is the oldest programming language and has been in existence even before the advent of the internet. This is extremely powerful but very difficult to master.
2. PHP:PHP is also extremely popular and is easy to learn.
3. ASP.NET:This is also a popular package but is costly and is known to gobble up huge amount of hardware resources.
One has to choose wisely from the list of available programming languages as per the project and the scope of work.
• Content Management Systems
Another modern and smart approach deals with the current context of web sites mostly dealing with content management. For building such sites, it is advisable to use Content Management System (CMS). This has the advantage of being client specific and is much easier to learn for non-technical people also. The advantages of a proper CMS system are as follows:
1. Security:A CMS module would be more secure as it adheres to client specifications and is accessible over the Web without any future time investment.
2. Familiarity:There are a few CMS systems available in the market and there is a chance that the client has worked on such an interface before. This would make it much easier for the developer to ensure that the client adapts to the system quicker.
3. Maintenance and Support: CMS systems have a much lesser maintenance cost and the client need not be solely dependent only on a particular company or service provider for the same.
Thus, following these fundamental of webdesign in creating a website or planning a web design, the newbie will get added confidence to make a smart approach.