Hundreds of better smartphone models make their debut in the market every month. In such a case, our old smartphones seem less glamorous and useful. We crave for the newer, dazzling ones. As a result almost everyone today switch to new gadgets every 2 years. But, what about the old ones? What should become of them? With the current rate at which technology has been advancing, we are at a disadvantage in keeping up with it. After launch the new devices are like the super players of the tech industry but after only 18 months, all the shimmer wears off and we crave for the current beasts in the market. At this rate we will be losing money plus creating a lot of e-waste.
Here are 10 tips to put your old smartphones to use:
1. Selling seems to be the obvious option primarily but the net worth is reduced. Instead of incurring losses, it is better to hold on to it for back up purposes.
2. Secondly old smartphones can be used as great portable music players when teamed up with a great pair of earphones and a large enough memory card. It will be ready to play your favourite tunes in no time at all!
3. Today’s smartphones are like mini-computers. So what if you are not using it to receive calls. There are a thousand different uses it can serve, one of them being surfing the net. It’s the most basic service that smartphones offer today.
4. Another good use of an old smartphone is to use it as a webcam in case it has a powerful enough camera. Even if it has a front camera you can use it to video chat with friends and family. This helps take the load off the new phone.
5. Old smartphones can serve as great gaming devices for kids. There are thousands of apps available out there which offer free games to keep your children glued and fight boredom during long car rides.
6. In case your old smartphone has an HDMI port, then it can be used to connect to your TV. Even if it does not have the HDMI port many TVs come with a mobile app that turns the smartphone into a sort of remote control.
7. If you are into exploring places and trekking trips, then your old smartphone can easily double up as a navigation GPS device which is extremely useful once you install the correct apps.
8. If you still think that you don’t want it to accompany you in your trip, then download some cooking apps and gift it to your wife. She’d be thrilled.
9. An old smartphone can also be used as a lovely digital picture frame. You can easily make a slideshow of your choicest photographs and put it up for display in the drawing room for everyone to admire.
10. If all else fails then bring it to the bedroom and use it as an alarm clock.
The more you use your old phone for secondary purposes like downloads, alarm clock, games, navigation, surfing etc. the more you will save your new phone from damage by saving on battery life and data. In fact divide the workload in such a way to keep both phone alive and in good working condition.